The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
: HOME  |  Colleges  |  Health Services  |  Administration  |  InsideHSC!
Online Help

Online Help

YOU ARE HERE : HOME / Admissions And Records

Site Map
Residency Policy
    The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center is a state-supported institution of higher education supported by legislative funds derived from State of Oklahoma tax revenue. As a state tax-supported institution, the University gives preference in tuition to residents of the State of Oklahoma.

    The University’s definition of the term "resident" may be different from the definitions developed by other, non-university agencies. The University does not recognize declarations of resident status made by other agencies. Thus, a person who is an Oklahoma resident for tax or voting purposes is not necessarily a resident for University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center tuition purposes.

  1. Basic Definition of Resident Status Resident status is granted to financially independent adults who are permanently residing in Oklahoma and who have been physically and continuously present in the State of Oklahoma for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of class attendance at any Oklahoma institution of higher education; and who, during this one-year period, resided in Oklahoma for some reason other than primarily to attend classes at a post-secondary educational institution.

    Resident status for tuition purposes is based on the location of your permanent domicile. Domicile has two components, residence and intent to remain indefinitely. A person can have more than one residence, but only one domicile.

    Attendance at an educational institution, albeit a continuous and long term experience, is interpreted as temporary residence. Therefore, a student neither gains nor loses resident status solely by such attendance. Each residency petition is judged on its own merit using the guidelines and regulations established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation to support a petition for in-state tuition classification. Petitions will be reviewed based upon the merits of the documentation supplied.

  2. Supporting Evidence or Documentation Actions, such as the following, may help to support an application for resident tuition status insofar as they apply to the Basic Definition of Resident Status: maintaining a permanent home/domicile in Oklahoma for at least 12 months prior to the first day of class attendance at any Oklahoma institution of higher education; listing Oklahoma as your tax state with the military; Oklahoma automobile registration and driver’s license; evidencing in some convincing way intent to remain in Oklahoma indefinitely after graduation (in other than a graduate student capacity); evidence of family ties to Oklahoma; owning property and paying state property taxes, voter registration in Oklahoma. All of these things will be taken into consideration as part of a petition for in-state tuition classification, but are not in and of themselves sufficient to establish residency.

    The issue of intent to remain in Oklahoma after completing one’s education is important in reclassifying financially independent adult students. Each individual must present his or her own special set of circumstances, along with documentation, to support the contention that he or she intends to remain in Oklahoma after graduation or ceasing to enroll as a student. Verification of full-time employment after graduation is an example of documentable intent to remain. This is not the only means to establish this intent. All materials and circumstances presented by the student will be considered, but the evidence must clearly and convincingly show a student’s intent to stay in Oklahoma.

  3. Residency Decisions The University has been authorized to make residency determinations for tuition purposes for its individual students, either at the time of initial enrollment, or as the result of a petition for reclassification. The Office of Admissions and Records is designated to make these determinations for the University. Contact the Office of Admissions and Records, 941 Stanton L. Young Blvd., Basic Sciences Education Building, Room 200, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104 or please contact the Office of Admissions and Records at (405) 271-2347 extension 48902 with questions concerning resident classification. Petition forms are available on the Web at

    1. Students from Other States
      If a student from another state moves to Oklahoma for the primary purpose of attending a post-secondary institution, that student shall be classified as a non-resident and will remain a non-resident throughout his or her presence as a student, unless he or she takes certain actions to meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status.

    2. Dependent Students
      Dependent students are those who are receiving at least 50% of their total financial support from parent(s) and/or are claimed as tax dependents on their parents’ federal tax return. Dependent students acquire the resident status of their parents. In some cases, parents or a parent may relinquish primary financial support to a grandparent, sibling, or other relative (including a natural parent who resides in Oklahoma when the other parent does not) with whom the student resides and receives benefits of room, board, and other financial support including tuition payment. If this relation meets the Basic Definition of Resident Status, dependent students will similarly be classified as Oklahoma residents for tuition purposes.

    3. Oklahoma Resident Parents Moving Out Of State
      If an Oklahoma resident parent of a dependent student moves his or her residence to another state, the dependent student remains eligible for resident status as long as he or she does not break his or her enrollment at the University for a period long enough to require readmission (more than one calendar year). Should readmission be required, the dependent student will be considered a resident of the state in which the parent(s) reside(s).

    4. Spouses and Common Households
      Marital status and common household relationships may support an application for resident status, but do not in and of themselves meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status. Presence in Oklahoma because a spouse is in school full-time does not qualify either spouse for resident status, even if the non-student spouse is working full-time.

    5. Full-Time Professional Practitioner or Worker
      An individual who provides evidence of having come to Oklahoma to practice a profession on a full-time basis, conduct a business full time, or work on a full-time basis shall be immediately declared an Oklahoma resident for tuition purposes along with his/her spouse and dependent children, so long as he/she continues in such full-time employment capacity for at least one calendar year and can document such upon request by the University.

    6. Immigrants
      Students who are not United States citizens but hold permanent resident status in the United States or have a refugee visa or political asylum visa status, may be considered for resident status assuming they meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status. The visa statuses previously mentioned do not automatically grant resident status for tuition purposes.

    7. Non-Immigrants
      Non-immigrants residing in this country or state under a temporary visa, such as F or J visas, shall be classified as non-resident and are not eligible for reclassification for tuition purposes.

    8. Active Duty Military Personnel Stationed in Oklahoma Not Claiming Oklahoma as Their Tax State
      Active duty military personnel (and their dependents) who are stationed in Oklahoma and are not claiming Oklahoma as their tax state are considered non-residents. They are, however, entitled to a non-resident tuition waiver, providing a statement of military status in Oklahoma is provided to the Office of the Bursar each semester before or at the time of fee payment. Documentation of military status in Oklahoma can be obtained from the base education office.

    9. Temporary Absences
      An Oklahoma resident may be absent from the state and retain Oklahoma resident status for tuition purposes provided he or she is enrolled as a non-resident in a full-time accredited post-secondary institution or is on active military duty and claims Oklahoma as his or her tax state and has not established resident status in any other state or the District of Columbia. Oklahoma residents who leave the state for other reasons may be gone up to one calendar year without jeopardizing their resident status if they do not establish resident status in any other state or in the District of Columbia. Temporary absences lasting longer than one year will result in the loss of resident status unless there are extenuating circumstances and extraordinary efforts have been made to maintain Oklahoma residency during the absence.

  4. Resident Tuition Reciprocity
    The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center does not participate in any in-state tuition reciprocity agreement with bordering states.

  5. The Academic Common Market
    The University does participate in the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) Academic Common Market non-resident tuition waiver program. This tuition waiver applies only to certain states and certain majors and does not constitute a change of resident status. For more information on the Academic Common Market, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records Regulatory Officer at (405) 271-2347 extension 48908. Last Updated: June 1, 2004
TOP ^  
: HOME  |  Colleges  |  Libraries  |  Research  |  Health Services  |  Administration  |  InsideHSC!
Online Help

Online Help
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Admissions & Records
Mailing Address: P. O. Box 26901, BSEB 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73190-0001
Location: 941 Stanton L. Young Blvd., BSE Bldg., Rm. 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Telephone: (405) 271-2359
FAX: (405) 271-2480

This web site Design, Built, and Maintained by the Information Design Group a department of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Please send web site related comments, questions, or error reports to

Every effort will be made to update the information contained on these pages as necessary. However, it is the responsibility of the user to determine that he or she is relying on the most current version of any particular information. Any questions about the material should be directed to the referenced office or department.
Copyright © 2004 The Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer | Copyright