Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Residency Status

When is my residency status determined?
The Office of Admissions determines your residency status upon initial review of your application. The decision is based on information on your application. Your resident status determined at the time of your application will remain in effect unless a petition is submitted and re-classification is granted. If there is a question about your residency status, we will send you a residency clarification form.

Will my residency automatically change after living in Oklahoma for one year?
No. It is the student's responsibility to petition for re-classification once he or she has met the Basic Definition of Resident Statusť.

If I am a dependent student, how is my residency determined?
If you are supported and claimed as a dependent by non-resident parent(s) and/or guardian(s), your residence is presumed to be that of your parent/guardian.

My mom lives out-of-state but my dad resides in Oklahoma. What is my classification?
If you have a non-custodial parent (one who you normally don't live with) who is a resident of Oklahoma, you may be classified as an Oklahoma resident once a petition and statement with supporting documentation of primary care, custody and support is submitted by the parent residing in Oklahoma.

I live in a state that borders Oklahoma, does this allow me to qualify for residency?
No. The University of Oklahoma does not participate in any in-state reciprocity agreement with bordering states.

I have several close relatives that are Oklahoma residents. Can I reside with one of them and gain residency?
No. Your residency is that of your parents/guardian. To qualify for residency, you will still have to meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status. If you have extenuating circumstances and a family member (other than a parent) supports and claims you as a dependent for tax purposes and is an Oklahoma resident, you may submit a petition along with any relevant documentation and  all pertinent  information will be used in your consideration for residency.

If I make a certain score on a required entrance exam; am I eligible to pay in-state tuition?
No. There is not a set score that automatically allows a non-resident student to receive in-state tuition. There may be scholarships or tuition waivers for which you might be eligible.  Please check with your college and the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

If my parents own property or a second home and pay Oklahoma state taxes, will I qualify for in-state tuition?
No. Resident status is based on the location of your permanent domicile. This is considered to be your fixed, permanent home and where you (or your parents) habitually reside. Since domicile has two components, residence and intent to remain indefinitely, a person can have more than one residence but only one domicile.

Would I qualify as an In-State resident if I have been living out-of-state and purchase a home in Oklahoma?
The purchase of a home in of itself does not immediately qualify a student to be classified a resident of Oklahoma without supporting  evidence that clearly reflects intent to remain in-state 1-2 years following graduation.  Examples of evidence may include a contractual job offer with a binding commitment to remain in the state after graduation, marriage to an In-state resident, a job transfer prior to application, and of course other extenuating circumstances.  Although the purchase of a home is an important and beneficial part of the petitioning process it alone is not viewed as a long-term commitment.

If I register to take a state-affiliated exam/certifications for licensure; does this qualify me for in-state tuition?
No. Application for a state certification or exam does not qualify you for in-state tuition status because this application is not considered sufficient evidence of intent to remain indefinitely.

I am not a US Citizen but have obtained permanent resident status with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Do I qualify for residency for tuition purposes?
You will need to complete the petition and meet the Basic Definition of Resident Statusť.

How long does the petition process take?
Once a petition is received, it is reviewed within 7-10 working days. Decisions are made immediately, if possible, but there are delays with petitions submitted with insufficient documentation. A letter will be sent requesting additional information if necessary.

My petition was not approved because I was unable to meet some of the requirements. Can I petition again?
Yes. If, at a later date, you feel that you meet all of the requirements for reclassification, you may petition at any time.

My petition for in-state tuition was approved. Can I lose my residency status?
Yes. If you establish residency in another state or if you are absent from Oklahoma for twelve months for purposes other than education. You will also lose your residency if the University of Oklahoma finds your resident status was granted based on false or misleading information.

Where can I find the Oklahoma State Regents Policy Statement on Resident Status?
The full text of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education policy statement on resident status for tuition purposes can be found at:, then click on Academic Affairs, then 3.17 Residence Status of Enrolled Students.

Will I be eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver if I am in the US on a visa, working in a professional position, have met the twelve month domiciliary period in-state, and my green card is pending approval by USCIS?
No.  You are eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver according to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Policy Statement, however waivers vary by institution and are not available at the OU Health Sciences Center at this time. 

Is special consideration given to full-time, active duty military personnel stationed in Oklahoma?
Yes.  Members of the U.S. armed forces who provide evidence that they are serving full-time active duty, stationed in Oklahoma or temporarily present through military orders are eligible for immediate classification as an in-state resident, along with their spouse and dependent children.  The armed forces include Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.  Such term does not include full-time National Guard duty.

The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity institution Disclaimer Copyright