SECTION 320 SPECIAL PAYMENTS REQUESTS
A. Special Payment Requests to provide compensation for work performed will be routed by the department to the department budget head for review and approval, and will then be forwarded to Payroll Services.
1. The normal payroll schedules provided by Payroll Services for processing these Special Payment Requests should be known, and the requests should be delivered to Payroll Services in sufficient time to permit the required review and still meet Payroll Services deadline.
2. To avoid delays, departments should be certain that the necessary information (e.g., when hours were worked, detail reason for the payment, etc.) is provided initially. If there are special circumstances that must be known to permit approval of the pay request, these circumstances should be described in writing on the request.
3. Special Payment Requests will not be used in lieu of normal payroll procedures for compensating employees.
4. For short periods of temporary employment (90 calendar days or less) the Special Payment Request is acceptable for use; however, if the employment is expected to last longer than 90 calendar days, the normal appointment process should be followed.
5. Temporary employees (who must be in compliance with University nepotism policies) are required to provide verification of employment eligibility and identity (Form I-9 completed) to the employing department within three days of employment.
6. Departments must provide on the Special Payment Request Form a current mailing address for temporary employees as tax withholding information must be sent to the temporary employee at the end of the calendar year by the University.
B. Temporary Employment Exceptions: If a department believes that, due to exceptional circumstances, a special extension should be granted that would provide employment beyond 90 calendar days to a temporary employee:
1. Prior to commencement of the extended employment, the department should prepare documentation and justification for the request (including a completed Special Payment Request form) to be routed through and approved by the appropriate Department Head and Dean, if any, (if not, to the Vice President) and Human Resources.
2. Upon proper preparation of the Special Payment Request form and receipt of the required approvals, the extended employment may be commenced, and, upon the completion of the extended employment, the Special Payment Request form should be sent for processing to Payroll Services.
C. Supplemental Payment Exceptions: Professional (or salaried) employees are normally not eligible for overtime or any additional compensation beyond their base or budgeted amount. In some cases, circumstances develop which might warrant an exception to this policy. Normally, such a situation would require that a salaried employee perform duties for the University that are clearly and distinctly outside the realm of the employee’s regular duties and responsibilities. If a department believes that a special consideration should be made that would provide additional compensation to a salaried employee:
1. Prior to the performance of the duties, the department should prepare documentation and justification for the request (including a completed Special Payment Request form) to be routed through and approved by the appropriate Department Head and Dean, if any, (if not, to the Vice President). Such documentation and justification shall show, and be certified to and approved by an appropriate supervisory person, that the work for which special payment in the form of additional compensation is requested was clearly and distinctly:
a. outside the realm of and in addition to the employee’s regularly assigned and contemplated duties and responsibilities,
b. performed during a period of time for which the employee was not otherwise obligated or expected to provide services to the University, and
c. for services provided to the University not otherwise compensated.
2. Upon proper preparation of the Special Payment Request form and obtaining the required approvals, the performance of the duties may be commenced, and, upon the completion of the duties, the Special Payment Request form should be sent for processing to Payroll Services.
D. Special Payment Usage Report: Human Resources shall quarterly prepare a special payment usage report for each department or other unit and distribute the report to the appropriate Department Heads, Deans, Vice Presidents and the Provost. The report shall show special payment usage, including exception usage and type (whether temporary or supplemental), and the dollar amounts and numbers thereof for each department or other unit.