What effect will this have on joint motion and muscle activation?
During terminal stance, ground reaction force produces
- a dorsiflexor moment at the ankle joint
- an extensor moment at the knee
- an extensor moment at the hip
The body controls these moments with
- activity in the ankle plantarflexors. The plantar flexors,
which have acted eccentrically through midstance, now act isometrically.
The continued advancement of the pelvis and lower extremity
now move the tibia anteriorly, which causes the heel to rise at
around 35 to 40 percent of the gait cycle.
- passive force which develops in the posterior knee structures
as they elongate during knee extension; knee muscle activity is
- eccentric activity in the hip flexors